Sedation Dentistry: Is It Right For You?
Could you list 100 things you'd rather do than visit the dentist? You're not alone. Dental phobia is one of the most common fears among healthy, normal adults. Whether it's a fear of pain or the unpleasant experience of holding your mouth open for a long period of time, dental phobia causes many patients to avoid the dentist until they have a serious problem!
Sedation dentistry is a game changer for patients who typically avoid the dentist until pain forces them to seek treatment. Providing a calm and relaxed experience, sedation dentistry can take the edge off your anxiety or even make your visit a warm blur. Patients using sedation procedures report feeling as though the entire process took mere minutes, even when the work took hours.
Do you think sedation dentistry is only for complicated procedures like wisdom teeth removal or root canals? Think again! Dental phobias aren't just about the pain, but the process. There are many reasons patients opt for mild to complete sedation during dental procedures:
- Fear of pain. Perhaps you've had an experience where the local anesthesia wore off too soon or wasn't enough to keep the sensations at bay. Being sedated means your comfort isn't dependent on the amount or placement of local numbing agents.
- Embarrassment. Some patients are embarrassed to have their teeth cleaned or worked on. Being sedated takes the anxiety and fear out of the process and provides you with a feeling of calm while your teeth are being taken care of.
- Swallowing and gagging. Many patients struggle with gagging or feeling the need to swallow during dental visits. Sedation can keep you from fighting back this urge while work is being done.
- Lengthy procedures. Even if you don't fear the dentist's chair, sedation dentistry can provide a greater level of comfort for patients who need a lengthy procedure done.
- Sensory overload. Perhaps you aren't afraid of the process as much as the sights, sounds and smells associated with dental work. You are also a great candidate for sedation dentistry.
Good dental health is a significant part of your overall well being. Fear of the dentist shouldn't keep you from regular check-ups or needed dental work. Sedation dentistry can help you overcome your fear and ensures a healthy mouth without pain, discomfort or anxiety. Contact us to schedule an appointment today!